Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Riverside Cemetery

Lewiston, Maine

 

Due to my work, I visit the Lewiston / Auburn area about once a month. I recently decided to see what kind of unique cemeteries or burial areas I could find in the area. After a little research I discovered a few, but the largest is know as Riverside Cemetery. As its name suggested, this cemetery is located along the banks of the Androscoggin River in Lewiston, Maine and offers beautiful views of the river.



Riverside is so large, I have only begun to explore it, and will likely have more to share later on, but I found it to be a peaceful place with a lot of history. Even in my initial exploration I discovered a few gems. You will also find some beautiful stones and even a few mausoleums with interesting architecture. What little research I could dig up on the cemetery was people claiming it is haunted. It turns out that the cemetery has a bad history of vandalism. It has over the years gained some reputation as a hang out for vandals, vagrants, and thrill seekers. This is upsetting as such persons are simply desecrating and destroying historical markers. I will admit that I took some interest in the tales of haunting. Most of them center around the Libbey Mausoleum. I was determined to catch a glimpse of this place to appease my own curiosity. Even though it is a huge mausoleum it is not necessarily easy to find. It sits nestled in the back right corner of the cemetery. As soon as I saw it, it was easy to see why some have attributed it to paranormal activity. It is a large mausoleum, almost big enough to be a small house. Interestingly enough it sits so that the entrance is in the woods. As you approach through the cemetery you will come upon the back. You then need to follow a small path into the woods and around the side to get a glimpse of the front. As you peer up at the large structure you are completely surrounded by trees. Even though I think such paranormal stories when it comes to cemeteries are based in one's own imagination, I will admit that it created an uneasy feeling and as something dropped from a tree in the woods nearby I just about jumped out of my skin.  This monument though should be viewed for it's architectural beauty. I was not able to learn much about the Libbey family except that they seem to have been factory owners in Lewiston.




 
 

Below I have included a few of the interesting stones I discovered in my short whirlwind visit.




This young man was 21 when he was drowned in the Fraser River in British Columbia. One cannot help but wonder about the circumstances surrounding his death. Did he leave Maine as a pioneer set on making his fortune?  One cannot also help but wonder if he is really buried here. After all, Maine and British Columbia are on opposite ends of the continent.
 
 
Notice the "Custer 7" marker. I can only assume this means Custer's 7th Cavalry, yet the stone clearly states "5TR ME INF". INF means infantry. Still working on this one.
 


 
This man was a member of the 10th Maine Band during the Civil War. Interestingly enough this band was from Portland and known as Chandler's Band. They are still in existence today and you can go to one of their concerts. Do your research and you will see what I mean.
 
Should you desire to visit this interesting cemetery you will find it located a short distance from downtown Lewiston. The easiest way to get to it is via Riverside Street. You won't miss it.....just look for the stone pillars and cast iron gate. 




No comments:

Post a Comment